Friday, March 30, 2007

Working in the night

Yesterday evening I went home and cooked curried chickpeas and tofu for dinner: C#1 ate only the chickpeas, and C#2 and C#3 had quinoa leftovers. Before and after we played and read together; it would have been great but for a really obnoxious headache.
I woke up at 0:30, and after half a sleepless hour decided to take a painkiller. I then went back to bed, but couldn't sleep, and kept thinking of the theorem PD#1 had explained to me. And when I woke up this morning, I knew! I knew how to generalize one of our definitions to the nonabelian case, and our main theorem to the non-zero-dimensional case!
It felt great. As I was having coffee two hours later, I met PD#2 and S#5, and discussed S#5's thesis project with them. PD#2 got very excited, and I think they will together manage to make at least some progress in the next few weeks. I then went to the office of PD#1 and discussed my nightly insights. He seems genuinely interested at least in one of them: the other, we agreed, might be left to a student. Maybe S#7, or S#8 in case he decides to work with me?
I really, really like my job. Now I just have to start planning the summer vacation :-).

No comments: