Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Good mothers

With my usual delay I noticed a very good post at Tertia's So Close with an awesome list of comments.
Many mothers (fathers are mysteriously, or maybe not so mysteriously, absent) argue repeatedly the same point: that as a mother you do your best, and have to work with the child/children you have. No a priori method works in all cases, and different children have different time schedules for reaching benchmarks like sleeping through the night or stopping diapers/pacifiers/bottles.
Mothers of twins have an even clearer understanding of that, since they often behave in totally different ways: even same sex twins do that, and I understand even identical ones.
I think the post above should be mandatory reading for every first-time pregnant woman, and for any of the many people who are always ready to criticize other people's educative methods.

1 comment:

Twice said...

Yes! I especially love the folks who make a snap judgment about a person's parenting based on one incident. One day, I'm told I must be doing a fabulous job because my kids are so well behaved, and the next someone else glares at me, shaking their head as if I have no idea what I'm doing.